Wednesday, 24 September 2014

Random thing I found

Rain. More rain seemed to fall every day. Surely the sky would run out of water soon? Drops splattered against the window, before running down and grouping in my now empty flower boxes. I was relieved about having saved my plants a few nights previously.

I looked down at his ring, it was just too big to fit on my finger properly so during the day I wear it on one of the chains he left behind. The ring was silver, a snake wrapped around my finger with a pair of tiny rubies for eyes. Running my finger over it I felt the detail of every scale, the metal cool beneath the warmth of my fingertips. I looked again out of the window, wishing, half hoping to see him walk up the driveway, dripping wet from the rain. I'd run out to meet him, not worrying about the wet or cold. I felt his phantom arms wrap tightly around my waist, thinner now than when I last saw him. His phantom face nuzzle into my neck. His phantom voice lulled my ears and I closed my eyes to take in the illusion my mind had created. Though I knew it was an illusion, it comforted me still. I longed for his presence overall. I wished to know when I might see him again.

We'd had no contact in days. I often read through our past messages just to remind myself on how he typed, how he spoke. I shook my head at the memory of how I'd always correct his grammar, but he never changed it. I guessed that I'd liked that about him.

No comments:

Post a Comment