Friday, 26 September 2014

'Spoken' Youth poem

My Darling
Under the apple tree
Freckled cheeks red with sun
Swell into a smile
She sees me

I am the wind in her hair
The chime in her laughter
 The shine in her eyes
The smile through her tears

I am the strength when she trips
The goodnight kiss
The new speech lisp

My Darling
Under the apple tree
Eyes full of sorrow
Grow with tears
She sees me
No longer

I'm the abandoned swing
The dust
On an old photograph
Hanging wonky on the wall

I am life before the truth
Before the Change
The box of toys in the attic
The crayon stain on the dresser

Remember me as I was
Not as you see me now
Return to me
My Darling
Under that old apple tree

1 comment:

  1. The images of the 'abandoned swing' and the 'dust of the old photograph' work really well.

    ReplyDelete